Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sienna Finished!

Woot! I think, like many people, the only reason I made this cardigan was to look like the 'heavenly creature' in the Interweave Mag. I look like a man in drag. oh well. Comparison pics.




















I am fairly happy about how this cardigan has turned out. It was an easy knit, and took me about 2 weeks. I had to make some mods though.

1. I couldnt get row gauge, which affected the cable along the front. In the end, i just made the last cable repeat a little shorter.

2. I did 3 inches of rib on the sleeve instead of leaving as is.

3. The shawl collar did not lie flat - even after blocking. I had to tack it down in places. I think i will try blocking again.

Overall, the pattern instructions were dead easy. I used Bendigo Wool Mills 'Rustic' in 12 ply green opal (a misty teal colour). Very nice stuff to work with! The hardest part was finding buttons to match - i literally went to every place in a 20km radius to find nice buttons.
I'm not sure if i'll ever wear it, but it is nice and warm and cozy thats for sure. Oh, and the wide ribbing around my hips doesnt make me look as gigantic as i thought it would.

Would you believe that this is the first 'proper' (i.e. not socks or beanies) garment that I have made? And please excuse my bed hair, i remembered i had the Boi's camera in the house and could take a photo. And yes, my room is messy - deal with it ;).

9 comments:

Dharma said...

You inspire me! I have made one infant sweater and two toddler ones, that's the closest I've gotten to a "proper garment".

M-H said...

That's lovely Bec. Congratulations. The colour is perfect and so is the fit. Mess? what mess? :)

Brooklynne Michelle said...

Bex you could totally rock that with a satin scraf around your nex a black pencil skirt and some skully knee highs and maryjanes or keds....

Brooklynne

P.s. Were both red heads...... For now atleast....

Lara said...

Superb! I think you've done a marvellous job (you changed that pattern!), it fits beautifully, and you look gorgeous in it. And if you think that's messy, please come to my house ;)

Kristine said...

Nice one! I've had a bit of an obsession with shawl collars myself lately. I shall have to pick your brain for tips. :)

StickLena said...

My sincere congrats! I almost cannot believe you apart from completing your garment also modified it. Perhaps knitting small items was a good training:-)

Kristy Knits said...

That sweater looks exactly like the one in the magazine. You are good.

Purlygirly said...

How can you say you don't look like a heavenly creature in that sweater? You did a beautiful job. Love that color, even more than the original.

Kellie said...

The cardy looks fantastic - I really liked this design so it's great to see it on a 'normal' person if you know what i mean. 'Man in drag' be buggered!