Thursday, March 08, 2007

Dollar and a bit of a mystery

Why is my cardigan so scrunchy when IK's looks so smooth and lovely.

Here is IK




Smoothalicious.... (well, it is when you open the pic link)













Here is mine....


Can you see the bumps?? This is the cardigans preferred resting position. I'm thinking the memory or spring of the alpaca has something to answer for in regards to the michelin man type bulges. And that tape measure says 8 inches at rest....


But wait, when i stretch it out to make it flat (but not tense) i'm given this...
How its meant to look??

Much better. I get all the length back - so its about 16 inches instead of 8.
I also would like to have a little gripe about the jump of 6 inches between the sizing of 41inch bust and 47inch. I am 42-43, when i make the 41 its gonna be too small, when i make the 47 too big.
I'm currently doing the 47, but i'm pretty sure i will have to take in the side seams when i've made it to make it fit nicely.... big sigh... But i am getting nice complements when people see it - the lace is really nice....

3 comments:

M-H said...

Different yarns? The IK one looks like linen or something crisp. But more importatnly, the IK one has been blocked within an inch of its life. Yours is in its natural unblocked state. Lace always needs to be blocked.

Bex said...

yes ma'am! ;)
there's is a linen blend, but i'm thinking i better block the back as soon as its done to make sure this thing is gonna work!!

stacyo said...

yeah, what's with that sizing from 41 t0 47 for the bust?? That's a bit of a stretch, no? I too am a 42/43, so i'm making the 47 size, but working a different gauge than called for, so my back section measures 22" vs. the 23.5 if my gauge matched the pattern.

Basically this is a crap shoot.

I've measured the width against a sweater who's fit I love, and this dollar and half is alreay 2" wider.

I'm thinking of frogging the whole thing and starting over.

But I'm not sure what is worse: to start all over or continue going as planned and have it be too baggy.

Ugh. The woes of a knitter...