Sunday, September 09, 2007

APEC round-up

Well, the march itself was quite inspiring - I actually felt young in the crowd! Lots of 'older' people which was great!

This guy had the right idea...












.
.
As did these guys....





.

.

.
.

.

.

The Boi and I

.

.
.
.

.

.

.
.
.
.
My flatmate and her Dad

.

.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
G-Boy and my Boi (hehe)











.
.

.
.

Downside to the day?? The Police.
I've never had a problem with police at any rally/march before - ever. They're just doing their jobs - right?

Firstly, they comfiscated all the poles for banners - they could be weapons. OK. My huge umbrella is more dangerous than a piece of dowel (not to mention my 7mm aluminium needles).

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
One policeman for every protestor was the estimate. See the little old lady below on the left? She got caught on the wrong side of the human wall and couldnt leave. She was pleading with the cops to let her through.
They didnt.


.
.
.
.
.
.
xfghfxgh
d
dfg
xcfg
h
fgh
f
f
My experience was twice trying to leave the rally (i really really had to pee) and not being allowed to. The cops had no name badges, numbers etc, and refused to let me leave.
When I asked how do I get out, they just shrugged and told me to get back.
.
In the end I had to go with everyone else into Hyde Park, cut across the garden beds to St Mary's Church and go back to Town Hall Station. Not happy John!
It was really inspiring to see all these people from different walks of life (north shore socialites, working class westies, students, grandparents) who gave a damn.

3 comments:

ARJ said...

Good on ya Bex. Too bad peeing on the police officers who wouldn't let you go to the toilet wasn't a viable option.

Just said...

For the cops not wearing name badges - you can clearly see that in your pic of the wall of cops. If they weren't doing anything wrong, why were they afraid of being identified?? Cowards...

Emily said...

Glad you went.

Thanks re the mitred rainbow comment. i'm reckoning it'll be a good weight for wearing in the Sydney winter next year....