Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Trust in the goodness of Brussel Sprouts

Ala Maggie Beer, i've been trying to mature my tastes (I havent progressed to VerJuice yet, but that stuff is expensive!).
I always hated pumpkin when I was a kid - but a couple of months ago I bought some and gave it a go. I've realised that a lot of my food dislikes came from the way it was cooked - boiled pumpkin IS horrible. But roasted, with maple syrup and pepitas? Yum.

I've since rediscovered a love for Brussel Sprouts. My mum used to boil them and they were awful and bitter, but they can be sweet and delicate tasting too.

So I present: Brussel Sprouts, Broad Bean and Saffron Risotto - 4 serves
(I polished it off before I could take a photo - it is YUM)

- 1 small onion, diced
- 7-8 brussel sprouts
- 2 tabs of butter and 2 of olive oil
- 2 cups of aborio rice
- 1/3 cup of white wine vinegar (or white wine)
- pinch of saffron threads
- 1 cup of (frozen) broad beans*
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 4 cups of hot stock
- half a cup of really good danish fetta, crumbled or chopped (not the low fat kind!)
- 1/3 cup of chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste

Cut across the base of the sprouts about 1cm in, and peel off the outer leaves. Slice vertically into 5mm thick slices. Heat big saucepan with oil and butter, and fry sprouts until they soften. Remove sprouts and pop in onion (add more oil if needed), fry until translucent. Add rice, fry for a couple of minutes until rice is translucent also.
Add white wine vinegar and saffron to deglaze the pan, stir til liquid is absorbed.
Add 1 cup of stock and the rest of the vegetables (incl sprouts), stir and let liquid absorb.
Add remaining stock 1 cup at a time, letting it absorb before adding the next.
When the last cup has been added, drop in the fetta and parsley and stir through.
Risotto is ready when its soft to your liking, and wet to your liking (some people like soupy risotto).
Add salt and pepper to taste.

The sprouts are sweet, and not bitter at all.

I love risottos so much, I make it at least once a week (and try making a different one each week too). Best bit is its enough to feed me and The Boi and still have leftovers for lunches.

*Apparently broad beans are some kind of vegetarian super food.
In one cup, there is:
10g of protein (20% of your daily), 11% of your daily iron, 5% of your calcium, 47% of your folate, as well as heaps of other vitamins.
1 cup of Brussel Sprouts has 126% of your vitamin C and 195% of your vitamin K (hehe).

2 comments:

TiNK said...

Ooo sounds yummo!
I eat pumpkin and sprouts all the time now. Oh, and cabbage. All the foods I used to hate when living at home.
You know what else is nice, but really bad for you. Pumpkin chips!
I made some a few months back with David. Do the same as if you were making normal potato chips, but fry pumpkin instead. Add some salt! And bingo - you've got fried goodness...

Cecilia said...

I love brussel sprouts! Definitely think they have suffered from being cooked badly by so many people for so long.

And fried pumpkin chips... :)