Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Tom, The Tourists and The Trannie-Girl

I am loving Thailand! We arrived in Hua Hin yesterday without much of a hitch (its so much easier than India) and The Boi is off at tattoo school today.

-------------------------------------

After having about 4 hours sleep we landed at Bangkok Airport and quickly got a taxi. The driver asked what country we were from, and when told, said "Australians no good". He didnt speak to us for the entire trip to our hotel, but we got there and were fine.

Suk11 is a great hotel - definately one of the nicest places we have stayed in all our travels. The rooms are large, very clean, the beds are comfy and the pillows are better than mine at home, free breakfast - and we have aircon! It was really needed while we were in BK. Oh, and did I mention its right on the main shopping strip?

Ahhh shopping. The Boi was a bit shocked by what I wanted to buy - Converse Chuck Taylors are about $30 over here ($70 at home) so I wanted to buy three pairs! I only bought one pair, but little does hy know I have plans on buying more when we return to BK before I leave.
I found heaps of cute kawaii things - books, pens, toys. If they can stick Hello Kitty on it, they will (I got Hello Kitty mints and Hello Kitty face wipes).

I also found YARN! It was nice (wool, alpaca and cottons) much the same price as at home, so I didnt feel the need to get any. I did buy a Clover Chibi and some locking stitch markers though.

The Boi and I have been chowing down on Thai food non stop - its been fantastic. We especially love the little guys with their sliced fruit carts - they have clear icecream carts filled with ice, and sliced watermelon, pineapple, papaya, rockmelon and guava. You pick what you want, and they slice it up, put it in a bag and give you a skewer to eat it with. YUM!

The night before last we went to the infamous Patpong markets - where everything is for sale. Designer ripoffs mingle with traditional Thai crafts, to the sound of the ever present touts trying to get you inside a one of the seedy bars.
"pussy ping pong!" "pussy banana" "pussy bubbles".

Then we found family - a tom (butch lesbian) spotted us, hugged us and immediately tried to get us to go into a girly bar. We had a quick chat and I gave her a flirty smile before we were swept off into the crowd.

Then we met Jennifer. Jen is a third-gendered person (what we would call a trannie-girl) who was trying to sell me a bag. Once she found out we were tom-dee (butch and femme) she gave me a special 'family' price, and we ended up singing Gloria Gaynor together in the middle of the market (much to The Boi's amusement). I did buy the bag. It was definately one of the best moments I had in BK.

Well, the next day we checked out and caught the light rail to the train station. Our train was 2 hours late ("half an hour delay, madame") so we chatted to an american couple - turns out the guy was a mad-crocheter! He showed me his, I showed him mine - while his partner and The Boi shook their heads. They will never undertand the Brotherhood.
(I also told him where the yarn was - its my duty as an enabler and yarn-hunter to share the love).

Hua Hin itself is a pleasant enough place - although its really set up for the middle class westerner. Namely, seedy old men with their Thai girlfriends - they are everywhere and its pretty gross. Other than that its alright.

Well, better be off, see yas!

2 comments:

Cecilia said...

Haha! I love the fact you are enabling in a foreign country! :)

Sounds like a fun trip.

Vintage Grrl said...

Sounds like you're having a great time!! :D Can't wait to see photos when you get back!