Sunday, November 07, 2010

Must fight the Startitus...

For the non-knitters out there, Startitus is 'when you feel the need to start lots of projects at the same time, even though you know that's a stupid thing to do'. Thanks Haldechick.

I suffer terribly from Startitus. I have half finished cardigans languishing in my knitting box (i've lost weight so they're too big, but I might put weight back on so I better not frog them - but I don't want to put weight back on - what to do!).
I have sad and lonely socks, waiting for their partner to make a pair.
Half sewn dresses that i've realised need major alterations before I can continue sewing.

*sigh*

But then I see something pretty, and have to make it right now! I'm really fighting the startitus.
Instead of starting a new sewing project last night (possibly Rooibos or Ceylon from Colette) I unpicked a couple of dresses, ready to take in so I can actually wear them this summer.
Two wearable dresses, in one night!

But then I found a copy of The Australian Women's Weekly Knitting Book for Adults (circa 1944) and i'm struggling not to cast on for a new project.

The photos are adorable, not to mention the quantity of patterns in the book. I got it from a vintage shop on south King St Newtown for a really good price (considering that I just saw three go for over $50 on Ebay, $12 was a good price).

The cover is cardboard which is pretty unusual in itself, but it means the outside is not in the greatest of condition. Maybe if I share some photos you might understand!






PS - Gertie is having a sew-along for Colette's latest pattern, Crepe, and the pattern is 20% off for November if you use the code word GERTIECREPE.

10 comments:

Lolita Haze said...

These are making me cry and wish I knitted!!! I want!

Kris said...

I feel your pain... I'm meant to be living out of a backpack and travelling the UK... and somehow two knitting projects have managed to sneak in there (and I'm trying SO HARD to stop a third tagging along!)
...
But, I'll be in the same place for 3 months (seasonal work) so hopefully I'll finish some stuff.
(hello from Krissy who used to go to Courthouse hotel knitting group! I hope all's well :) and thanks for the great patterns you put up)

Kris said...

I feel your pain... I'm meant to be living out of a backpack and travelling the UK... and somehow two knitting projects have managed to sneak in there (and I'm trying SO HARD to stop a third tagging along!)
...
But, I'll be in the same place for 3 months (seasonal work) so hopefully I'll finish some stuff.
(hello from Krissy who used to go to Courthouse hotel knitting group! I hope all's well :) and thanks for the great patterns you put up)

smartygirl said...

so super cute!! i have total startitus too - a woolen dress and skirt cut & pinned (but not sewn) and a pair of mitts and scarf on my needles and i'm about to start a sweater for xmas. and that's not counting a couple of long-hibernating cardigans.

hope you post some of the patterns from that book eventually...

Bex said...

Nice to know i'm not the only one... Smarty Girl - i'll post one tomorrow for you!

Evie said...

Could you maybe share the pattern for the hooded scarf??? I've really been wanting to make one of those, but can't find a pattern I like.

Bex said...

Heya Evie, i'll try and dig the pattern book back out this weekend and find it for you. x

Moira said...

Hi,

Any chance you can post the gauge for the hooded scarf...it doesn't seem to be in the pattern. For Paton Super Scotch 4 ply.

Thanks,

Bex said...

Hi there Moira,
There's no gauge provided sorry!

Moira said...

Awe darn...thanks for checking! Guess I'll figure it out.