Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Style Me Vintage

My copy of Style Me Vintage Hair finally came today (I pre-ordered it through Bookdepository in the UK), and I really love it. It's written by Belinda Hay, hairdresser at The Painted Lady London Hair Salon (god, I need to go!). *excuse the photos, my camera is shite*


Well, I mostly love the layout as my hair is too short to do any of the styles in the book (except for a mini-quiff, and maybe some pin curls in my fringe). I think its aimed at the rockabilly/forties revival look which is so popular right now (yeah, i'm one of those).


There are a lot of things to love in this book - the cover is a printed fabric (not plain old card or paper), and the background of the pages is vintage fabrics and barkcloth.


The girls are all uber-cute with tattoos and piercings, and while their outfits are a more modern take on vintage (i.e. not 100% historically accurate) it makes the whole 'look' more accessible. And that's what's important.


If you were looking for a book which told you how to get your hair cut to do a certain style, or how to do a historically accurate set then this book isn't what you're looking for (although, for the price and the beautiful photos/layout i'd get it anyway).

If you're looking for a book which shows you how to do your own (easier) version of Joan's hair, Betty Grable's poodle curls or how to tie a head scarf properly (ala Rosie the Rivetter) then this is what you need.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It is a great litte book, I was lucky enough to go to their book launch and the dos they did (?) were amazing!

smartygirl said...

oh, i want!

Jen (pieKnits) said...

Ooh I had't heard about this, thanks. Added to wishlist, yeay!

Foodycat said...

"If you're looking for a book which shows you how to do your own (easier) version of Joan's hair, Betty Grable's poodle curls or how to tie a head scarf properly (ala Rosie the Rivetter) then this is what you need." - perfect! That's me sold! Thanks!