Monday, January 03, 2011

Midnight Cowboy - Butterick 4985

After seeing Lazy Stitching's version of this shirt on a busty gal, I really wanted to give it a try.

Please excuse the messy quiff and messy-er backyard. (Lipstick is the amazing matte Temptress from Illamasqua, the brooch is a vintage lucite score from the Rock and Roll markets in Tempe)

I made the version with the tie neck, but used the puff sleeve instead of the cape sleeve. I have a major weakness for puff sleeves.



The Good:
The fabric is pure awesome - purple, black and white cotton yarn dye that was $2.50 a meter from Marrickville. Its light and airy, but not too transparent.
The ease of the construction - I glanced at the instructions once, and sailed ahead. Its basic!

The Meh:
I tried to do my first FBA, but it really didnt need it. I ended up with weird pouching at the bust gathers and too much excess fabric at the waist, and vowed to never do a FBA again!
I salvaged the top by unpicking, cutting off 2 inches of excess from the bust and taking it in by 2 inches.
The top is quite low-cut, I had to add a prestud above the button to stop it gaping (even then it gapes a little). If I made it again i'd probably ignore the button placement and use 5 buttons.
My buttonholes suck. I have to do them manually on my 1950's machine, and its really hit and miss sometimes.

All in All?
This top has really grown on me - I love it! Maybe its just the colours of the fabric, but the fit is really good (finally). I'd make it again but i'd like to rework the styling a little bit, maybe add a back yoke and make a more traditional western shirt.

4 comments:

Vintage Grrl said...

FBA? Bust alteration?

I won't make a pattern without one, but there are tricks to making it not look like you've done one :D

Bex said...

I think I overestimated the amount I needed to add is all. I'm going to try again with a shell-top pattern and see what happens ;)

Emily said...

Looks GREAT! (As do you).

ARetroRemedy said...

I LOVE this top! I will definitely be trying out this pattern - as I've been recently trying to make more time for sewing for myself.

I found your blog very recently and your projects are really inspiring! (And it's never a bad thing to have another retro femme's wardrobe to get ideas from ;)