Wednesday, January 19, 2011

RIP Vera Kemp

On Friday 14th January 2011, my Nan finally passed away.


Nan was a Welsh coal miners daughter (with 8 sisters) who threw everything away on a chance in Australia with her husband in the 60s. It took 6 weeks by boat to come over.

(Nan gave me the faux-fur stole she's wearing in this photo)
If she hadn't done this brave act, my family would never have had the opportunities we have now.

Nan had an extremely dry sense of humour - even as she was dying she teased one of the nurses, blaming the poor woman for her state.
She loved clothes and shoes, and could never walk past an op-shop (thrift store) without seeing if there were some bargins inside - something I know i've gotten from her. We had some awesome times op-shopping.
Nan was a lady, she would never go out in public without putting on 'her face' or making sure her hair was done. On the flip side, Nan liked a drink, a dance, a smoke and a flutter on the pokies. She also liked looking at handsome men, of any age. No one was safe...

Nan accepted who I was, and who I loved without question. She believed in equality for GLBTQI, she thought the Catholic Church was stupid for its stance on condoms. I can't begin to describe how awesome she was.

You were important to many people. You're very missed.

xxx

8 comments:

Vintage Grrl said...

Oh Bex,

My condolences. Your Nan sounds like an amazing woman.

LynS said...

Bex, my thoughts are with you. I know how important your Nan was to you and how much she meant to you. There'll be such a gap in your life.

Cecilia said...

Bex, thanks for telling us a bit about your Nan. She sounds like an amazing woman. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

missfee said...

Bex - my thoughts are with you - your Nan sounds like one top lady.
love an hugs

Emily said...

Bex, I'm so glad you had such a lovely Nan, and such a great relationship with her. Means it hurts more now, but ooh so worth it! Makes me think of my Mutti, who died when I was 30 and who I still miss value.

Lucky us to have had them, but so sorry it hurts so much just now. xxx

Moxie Tonic said...

I'm so sorry Bex, what a sad time. How wonderful that you had such an amazing woman in your life, and bonus, she was related! Take care :)

Bex said...

thanks guys xxx

What-I-Found said...

What a lovely tribute. Among her other accomplishments she had a wonderful granddaughter.