Monday, May 16, 2011

The Enid Skirt

Here is what the Enid Gilchrist box pleat skirt looks like if you follow her pattern - and I rather like it! Add that it only took a few hours to make and thats always a winner in my book.

The only changes I would make would be to interface the waist band before attaching it to the skirt! I used  waist band petersham to keep the waist band ultra firm, and used a vintage pink zipper down the side.

Close up of the box pleats

The fabric is last season from Spotlight, its a stretch cotton sateen with the stretch going against the stripe - ? I'm baffled as to why someone would use it that way, with the stripes going up their body.

I'm trying my hardest to finish the Petal Yoke Cardigan before winter really kicks in, it might be a slow knit but at least its enjoyable!


6 comments:

robinsnc said...

I love that skirt! Such a pretty fabric.

Moxie Tonic said...

The skirt turned out just beautifully! I am so enamored of that fabric - it really looks like a vintage piece.

SEW RED HOT said...

I love it ! And thanks for taking a pic of the pattern a few posts back. I'll be printing this out and making one up for winter.
You're the best!
lore
x

Debi said...

LOVELY skirt! I adore those box pleats and love, love, love the fabric!!!

ColorfulVoid said...

Hi ! I received the book and I'm in love with the styles it contains ! So many potential !
But do you have advices on how to adjust the sizes ? I have a similar silhouette than you (maybe larger hips?), with the addition of a curved back and narrow shoulders...
I'm a sewing beginner, so I'm not too confident in my ability to adapt myself the pattern's measurements like it's explained in the book...

Did you make other garments from the book ? I have my eyes on the high-waisted shorts, panties, nightgown, and dresses of course :)

Bex said...

Hi ColourfulVoid!

I'll be honest and say that I've only ever made the skirt pattern (bad me).

I recommend learning how to do a FBA (full bust adjustment) there are heaps of articles on the internet.

Palmer Pletsch also have a book called 'Fit for Real People' that helps with fitting issues, I used it quite a bit in the past.

And finally, Sense and Sensibility have a post on how to grade up patterns, it's a must - http://sensibility.com/blog/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/

hope that helps you!
x