Sunday, July 10, 2011

FO: Petal Yoke Cardigan


Finished! I'm in love with this cardigan - the fit is good, its lightweight but warm and the colour is rockin'.
  
1940s brooch, Etsy.  Scarf, Op-Shop.

Mods:  
I was worried about the arm holes being too low, so I made extra increases and bought the arm-splits up by about 3/4 of an inch. I also made the arms an inch shorter, in retrospect I should have only made them .5 shorter.
I also didnt do as many decreases in the body - basic math said it would be too tight - something to watch out for if anyone else gives it a go.

The Good:
The pattern is dead easy to knit- you just have to trust the instructions. Its also (suprisingly) not a boring knit. By the time I had 400 sts on my needles I was so busy counting yarn overs that I didnt really notice.
Did I mention there are only two seams to sew up?

The fit is really, really good (after blocking). I also think it was a fairly quick knit for 4ply, two months?

I love the vintage glass buttons that I found in an Op-Shop for $2, they are an orange-red but go really well with the cardigan so who cares.


The Meh:
The button band was really floppy and stretchy when it was finished, and blocking didnt really help. I ended up sewing grosgrain/petersham ribbon to the back side of the buttonhole band to stabilise it - worked like a charm!

I wish I had made it a fraction longer, but it is the perfect 50s length so no matter. I was running out of yarn too! 

The yarn (Bendigo Luxury 4ply) pills like a biatch. It got fuzzies while I was still knitting it! I'm going to have to make sure I de-pill it before wearings. I also think it would be made better in a tighter twisted or cabled yarn (IMHO). But, since all the yarn for this jumper cost me $22 I cant complain too much - 2 balls is *just* enough for the 40 inch size.

Knitting a cardigan in 4 ply is a bit masochistic too.


The Bad:
None!

Verdict:
Love it - 8/10.
I'm not sure I would knit it again (one petal yoked cardigan is probably enough) but I would recommend the pattern to anyone.

*****

And then I wore it on a day trip to Cronulla Beach with Cowboy.
There were cockatoos everywhere eating fallen pine cones.


















We ate fish and chips instead...


6 comments:

Camelia Crinoline said...

It looks great. The petal detail is lovely. It almost makes me wish I had the patience to knit.

Kate LeMay said...

That colour is fabulous! Beautifully done, you have made a lovely cardigan :)

Jen (pieKnits) said...

I love it and that color is fantastic! I think 2 months for a 4 ply cardigan is extremely impressive. Looks great on you!

Maria said...

It really does look great and thanks for the tips. I posted a comment on your last post about this cardigan and you encouraged me to give it a go....so I am. I started it over the weekend and am really enjoying it. And you're right, the pattern is more straightforward than it original looked. I hope it turns out as good as yours. Thanks again.

sweet jane. said...

I think it looks awesome... that color is divine! Kudos for finishing it so quickly & so well! (And I love your scarf/turban, too)

Bex said...

Aww thanks guys! (And thats fabulous Maria)