Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vintage hair and make up - 1930s inspiration

Its really lovely to see the progression of styles through the 1930s-1950s, as worn by the everyday woman and showcased in knitting patterns.

Lux Knitting 1934 - Joan Blondell

Lux Knitting 1934

Womans Weekly, early 1930s


















Stitchcraft 1936


















Lux Knitting 1936




Lux Knitting 1938




 











When we get to the late 1930s, the US and UK/Australian styles started to diverge. I wonder if it was due to the UK joining the War earlier than the US? The makeup becomes more natural looking too.

From Australia-UK, 1939:
Lux Knitting, 1939



Lux Knitting, 1939

Lincoln Handknits, 1939

From the US, 1939:

Handknits are High Fashion, 1939

Handknits are High Fashion, 1939


Chadwicks Sweater News, 1939
I hope you get some enjoyment and inspiration from the hair and makeup images , i'm hoping to do seperate posts for the 40s and 50s.

4 comments:

TheOtherSarah said...

I did enjoy them! Fascinating how they diverged - I wonder if there was a particular US film or actress who popularised the more smooth and structured 40s look, and it took a bit longer to filter through to the rest of us? I haven't got Lux 36 - that model is stunning!

Bex said...

Hmm - maybe youre right ;).

(I love the Luxs! I have all of them except for 1941 :D)
x

Andi B. Goode said...

That's one of the things I love about looking through my patterns =] And, I would most definitely say it was because of the war! Hairstyles and even make up had to become simpler in the UK (and I suppose Aus) whereas things were far better off in the US. I do admit I know a little more about the UK home front than any other, though.
-Andi x

femmeonamission said...

Just found your blog and I am obsessed! Love these hairstyles. I feel very inspired :)