Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Glenn, men's cabled jumper/vest c. 1950 Patons R.19

Last night Cowboy and I were discussing what to do about Xmas - we have really limited budgets due to the America trip next year.

She mentioned that she would love a knitted jumper or vest - "like a grizzly fisherman". Cute.

She meant an aran, or cabled, but with a round or polo neck.
A few hours later and we found this one, its from Patons R.19 "Eighteen Specially Requested Reprints". From the styling, I think the majority of the patterns are actually from the 40s, and reprinted again in this 1950s booklet.

And its 3-ply! Cabled 3-ply! What am I thinking?
I'll change the neckline to a polo, and make the sleeved version.




2 comments:

Docleather said...

I love this pattern. Have you knitted it yet? I'm thinking if i knit this for myself I'll have to add a pattern repeat in the torso area to make it longer, as I don't like sweaters that look like old man sweaters. a question, is the rib on each side of the cable pattern seed stitch? because that's what it looks like on the picture.. Thanks again for posting this!

Bex said...

I'm so glad you like it! I think the seed stitch does extend around the side (i've never knit it) but maybe just double check the pattern repeat to be sure!
x