Sunday, October 16, 2011

Love Vintage fair round up

This is my absolute favorite Vintage Fair to go to, and I'm really glad that I finally got to attend the opening night. It's always a toss up between getting in first on the Friday, or looking for possible reduced prices on the Sat/Sun.
Kim (my partner in crime) contemplates some repro-
jewellery.























My inner barginista normally chooses the latter option, but I think my opinion's changed after last night - no crowds!

Please excuse the iPhone shots, it's hard to get decent photos inside there...
I did wear that cardigan! 1940s beret off Etsy. Scarf, opshop.
Bracelets, Mimco.


















My favorite stall for nic-nacks has to be Barnhouse Antiques - loved their stuff, and they're awesomely friendly people too! (hello again!).

















There were some great clothes stands (Love Me or Leave Me, and Classic Vintage were the standouts) and some really over priced ones as well. I'm always amazed people are asking for $300+ for a printed cotton 1950's dress when you can find them on Etsy/online for much cheaper.

Vintage Tip - look for something you're familiar with, i.e a 1950's white beaded cardigan, and see how much the seller is asking for it. If the price is reasonable, odds are the rest of their stuff is too.

I didnt get anything on my vintage shopping list (wicker 1950's handbag, black beaded cardigan or vintage western belt) but I did come away with some lovely finds.


 
I wish I could have bought a whole set of those pin-up playing cards! I'm going to frame these ones. Just like Andi, I love Gayware and couldnt go past some teal cannisters. I bought the 1920's xylonite 'Studs' box for Jakk, it matches her 'Ties' one.

 
Couldnt go past the super-cute crocheted shopping bag - Art deco? Forties? Not sure.
The green carved plastic bracelet is my current favourite and I havent taken it off all weekend.


My shopping adventures wouldnt be complete without a knitting pattern purchase - or seven. I've been chasing Hollywood Knitting and the Madam Weigels "Cushions and Doilies" for ages - very happy i've got them in my collection now.

xxx
Bex

5 comments:

Camelia Crinoline said...

Wow, you scored some great stuff. I love that bag and the bracelet. The bracelet looks kind of like carved bakelite which I am obsesed with at the moment.

Tasha said...

Great finds! I too love the bag and bracelet, and of course the knitting booklets. I can never find those art vintage fairs! I love the look of the jumper featured on that last Stitchcraft to the right on the bottom row!

Bex said...

Aww thanks guys! Tasha - we're lucky to have heaps of knitting patterns, but you guys in the US get everything else ;)

Barn House Antiques said...

It was great meeting you!!! I am glad you liked the bangle, canisters and bag. I love the bangle and if it fit me I would of kept it. I am glad it is now being loved. I couldn't age the bag either. If you find out let me know.

Tamara said...

Hi Bex. I saw this yesterday & being in Sydney, thought it might be something you'd be interested in checking out: http://www.wisteriaauctions.com.au/main/page_home.html

-Tamara
http://anewballofstring.blogspot.com/