Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In the unlikeliest of places

But first, I have to shamelessly self-promote the hankies I embroidered for a Xmas present for Jakk.
I bought some men's white hankies from an op-shop, bleached them, and used some transfers from Sublime Stitching.
















I'm pretty damn happy with how they came out! So was she.

Last weekend I had the chance to fly up to Darwin to see my family (and uber cute niece).
Whenever I go I always prepare myself for heat, humidity and limited shopping choices.

But this time was different!
Well, its still really hot and humid, but the shopping culture has changed dramatically since I was last there.
There's a shop called Vintage Twist that sells real vintage (I found a few 50s frocks) as well as Stop Staring and Bettie Page.

My standout favourite has to be Viva La Body. My sister insisted on taking me there before catching my flight and I'm really glad she did. I found this dress that looks really similar to a 1940's house dress (its called the Crawford).

Belt, self-made. Scarf, op-shop. Necklace, op-shop.
1940's celluloid broch, Etsy. Shoes, Bleyer.























Pockets! Self covered buttons! And it goes great with my new Bleyer dancing shoes, courtesy of Cowboy for Xmas.

Spotlight currently has 30% off all fabrics at the moment, which meant I was able to splurge on some great feed-sack style prints.

My plans are (from the left): circle skirt, another Wearing History blouse, cute 1940's dress, maybe the Horrockses dress from V&A for the last one?
How did you spend your holidays? And have you nabbed any bargins?

7 comments:

Lenora Jane said...

Still on holiday! Currently hunkered down in my parents' living room trying to finish my New Years dress and taking advantage of their Netflix TV library (the number of X-Files episodes I've watched in the last few days is ABSURD!)

As for bargains: YES! Oh my god yes. Found this mock-WWII war-morale/patriotic print cotton in the clearance pile at the fabric store...quilting cotton, but drapey enough to make something wearable out of. $2 a yard. I smell a really flamboyant shirtdress on the horizon...

Lenora Jane said...

AGH and I forgot to say: those handkerchiefs are super cute/excellent! Especially down with the anchor, though I like 'em all.

Kimberly said...

I love the fabrics you've laid out and am looking forward to seeing your new dresses/ skirts etc. I did some embroidered handkerchiefs for my brother a couple of years ago, but I don't think he enjoyed them as much as his then-one year old. i enjoyed making them though & hope you did too. :)
I'm hoping now that gift sewing is mostly finished I can finally get back to the new corset i was making for myself after which I am really looking forward to making a 40sish shirtwaist dress.

Desiree said...

You're so right to pat yourself on the back for your handiwork. That dress is darling. Definitely a great find. Happy New Year!

M-H said...

We shopped at a fabric store in NZ and bought up lot of cottons at $8 a metre. I'm on a kick at the moment of simple summer frocks or tops with the twist of contrasting fabric trims or facings/pockets (sekrit cute stuff inside). I have two cut out and another ready to go. I haven't sewed for years, and I'm finding it very therapeutic.

Bex said...

Happy New Year! Wow, it sounds like sewing is on the cards for a lot of other people too! :D

Jessica Cangiano said...

You look so wonderfully pretty! I love the eye-catching vibrancy of that pretty red dress, as well as how you've styled your gorgeous locks here. The hand stitched hankies are, to say the very least, utterly stunning, too!


Wishing you a fantastic New Year and only the vest in 2012!

Jessica