Sunday, December 04, 2011

Sewing: Smooth Sailing Blouse from Wearing History

I can't begin to describe how much I love the Smooth Sailing blouse from Wearing History!

The fit is really good, and the shirt looks great with a lot of high waisted pants ansd skirts I own (yep, I tried it on with everything). I made the size 22 (40 inch bust) and added a little extra width at the hip.























The Good:
It only takes 2 metres of fabric to make!
There's ample fabric in the blouse and button hole placement to stop the 'gape' at the bust.
Puff sleeves!

The Bad:
None. I'm making many versions of this shirt.















The Meh:
Forwarned is forarmed.
This shirt is cut from a vintage block, so the arm holes/sleeves are tiny! I made a muslin so I could cut the armholes deeper (about 3/4 of an inch). I also added width to the sleeves because there was no way it was going to fit around my bicep.
The shoulder is quite wide (the sleeves heads were well onto my arm) so I reduced them by half an inch also.

All in all, I love it to death. I wasnt sure about the trim but who doesnt love ric-rac? The buttons are vintage (1950's I think) from my Nan's old stash. The fabric is some quilting cotton I picked up, I think its Michael Miller?

And this is what I wore to Shaking All Over.

Freddies of Pinewood 1940s Work Pants, Bloch Shoes






















You can't go wrong with comfy jeans and dancing shoes.
I can't figure out the Freddies of Pinewood sizing - the Dungaree Dolls and 1940's Work Pants fit perfect, but the Side Button Jeans are much too small? (note to the pear-shaped girls out there).

Anyway, Cowboy and I danced for hours to the bands - i'm still recovering from my blisters this morning.

Hope you crazy cats all had a good weekend too!

xxx

5 comments:

Moxie Tonic said...

The shirt turned out fantastic! How I love ric-rac, but am always afraid it will make things too cutesy. This is the perfect application, not a cutesy in sight, just very vintage looking.
Have been on the lookout for a better shirt pattern, and will have to give this one a try now!

Desiree said...

Adorable. Yo're so right, it absolutely needs to be made in lots and lots of colors. This really makes me wish I could sew. Sigh.

Tasha said...

Awesome!! Pretty much looks like the perfect blouse to me. Looks fantastic on you! I have the pattern too and have yet to sew it or the trousers, although I've had the cut trouser pieces hanging around for about 2 months now. :P

I'll keep your arm mods in mind when I do get around to sewing the blouse!

Ryan said...

I've been thinking about getting this pattern for months now. Seems like everyone who reviews it has made the same arm/shoulder adjustments that you did. Guess I have to plan on a muslin.

Andi B. Goode said...

The blouse looks great! I love the fabric you used. I have 3 of these made up now and just love the pattern so much. I've had a bit of trouble with the shorts, though (mum's the seamstress, not me, but she can't figure out what's going wrong, either) not sitting right. Still one of the best blouses I've ever worn, though.
-Andi x