Monday, January 16, 2012

Arlene twin-set from the Women's Weekly, c. 1951

I love the Australian Women's Weekly knitting books to death.
They are crammed with fabulous advertisements and interesting knitting patterns, its a shame most of them are only sized for a 34 inch bust.





















I've been planning my next knitted object (the Lavenda Droplet jumper should be finished soon), and I really need a plain, round necked cardigan knitted in a 4-ply.

This twin-set is adorable and plain, but spiced up with a little tie-neck on the jumper. Plus it's sized to fit a 38-40 inch bust.

Presenting,
"Arlene, the twin-set chosen by the well-groomed matron of today."
Wait, what?

Well, I dig her glasses at least!


 

4 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

This twinset is so cute. I only have one of the Women's Weekly books. I find that everything I knit knits up a lot bigger than the pattern, anyway. (But possibly because I'm not great at following them properly haha)
-Andi x

eileensbasement said...

I love that it's the choice of well groomed matrons. I'd like to see the choice of slovenly matrons. I think it's darling!

smartygirl said...

i love the red dress in the ad!

i have a few older pattern books from the fifties, and they inevitably have very different styles for the "junior miss" compared with the "matron." i believe that 34" bust was the dividing line between the two. i.e. anyone over the age of 19 was a "matron," and ought to dress as such.

Desiree said...

Matron? I beg your pardon? Haha.