Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'd rather be sewing...

But instead, i'm trying to fix my place up to sell!

 
It's slow going, and it means no spare time for sewing over the next few months (at least I have knitting time on the train, but thats another story).
 
I'm sad about the house work, because these pretties just arrived in the mail recently and my hands are itching to make something.

Can you see the pointed waistband?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I think this would be perfect for work.
 
Vavoom!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 






Have you noticed anything similar about these patterns?

How about they're all 'larger' sized?
 
My pattern collection is huge now (over 200 sewing patterns) but i'll probably never make the majority of them because i'm so nervous about upsizing a 32 inch bust to a 40 inch bust. I've started to get a bit realistic about what I buy this year, and get patterns I don't need to fiddle around with as much.
 
Is anyone else afraid of re-sizing patterns, or are you an expert?

7 comments:

Knitting-twitter said...

..you seem to have many talents, I wish you a lot of luck that you can sell soon your place..
all the best from Switzerland,
Christa

Jane W. said...

I'm petrified of re-sizing patterns. My waist is 2 sizes larger than the rest of me, and increasing the width at that point in the pattern just about takes it out of me. That skirt looks yummy!

MistressCatgirl said...

I have a few vintage patterns I want to re-size. Whenever I re-size patterns I transfer them to brown craft paper and make the changes on the copy. I'm too afraid of messing up something so old.

eileensbasement said...

Wow, with lovlies like those, I don't blame you for wanting to be sewing instead!

I wouldn't say I'm afraid to size the patterns, but I'm like you, I just don't want the fuss. I'm always apprehensive about the fit later. However, if the pattern in question is completely unique, I'll size it if I have to.

Sickofitcindy said...

I have successfully resized a 32 inch bust dress to 46 inches. I wish I could say it was easy and quick. The "easiest" and most effective way for me was to resize it using my made to measure dress form. I've tried the slashing and spreading method which can work but was kind of confusing to me. Sue at sewmisunderstood.blogspot (i think this is the correct url) has a lot of cool video demonstrations on how she uses her sloper in conjunction with a vintage pattern. Love that Home Journal dress pattern!

Tasha said...

I am not keen on resizing. I know in theory I could do it, with lots of trial and error and muslins... but at the end of the day, I figure I can find other patterns in my size and that take less effort. I guess I'm lazy like that. lol I'd rather spend my time sewing or on other things than tweaking and resizing.

I guess in that way I'm not very into the process. You know, like how they talk about "process" or "product" knitters. I'm both a process and product knitter, but really just a product sewer.

pumpener said...

hey,
Ive found ms pyscho sue on youtube is awesome. http://www.sew-misunderstood.blogspot.com, she has some great videos on grading up vintage patterns and creating a fitting shell - which is basically your body without any ease so you can get an idea of measurements that way and know whats going to fit and where to add inches etc. i know i learn better visually so, hope this helps. dam those rationed bitches for being so tiny, grr