Thursday, May 10, 2012

USA Trip Part One - Alcatraz and Yosemite

I'm breaking down my trip into a few blog posts, so I don't overload people! The whole set is here on Flickr if you really want to see.

After a 16 hour flight, it was nice to finally get to San Francisco and meet the man we were staying with (he was lovely!). I loved San Fran - it feels a bit like Melbourne, and I could definitely live there if I ever had the chance to.
The next morning we caught the ferry over to Alcatraz Island to explore.







































































Alcatraz Prison itself is really interesting, but has this sad feeling hanging over it. It must have been very depressing for the guys there to be able to see San Francisco from the barred windows.

The next day was a day trip to Yosemite National Park, which turned out to be one of our favourite places in the USA.

And - SNOW!















Jakk and I went a bit nuts when we saw the snow - I think the other people on the bus were just thinking 'crazy aussies'.
My first snowman!

















Yosemite is just so breathtakingly beautiful, that every photo you take looks like a postcard.




































































Jakk and I are already planning our next holiday back to the USA, and spending more time at Yosemite is a must!

6 comments:

Knitting-twitter said...

hi, your pictures are bringing memories back to me and I whole-heartly agree with you, one most spend more time at Yosemite..
have a great weekend,
ciao ciao Chrsta

MistressCatgirl said...

Looks like it was a great start to your vacation. I recently moved to Northern Nevada and was excitingly waiting for it to snow. Well, this year was the driest winter ever and we didn't get any snow. I would do the same thing you two did.

Jane W. said...

That was your first snow? Wow! What place to experience it.

Laurence said...

So nice pictures! I also check all your trip ones, what a nice travel!!!
We were about the same time at Frisco and of course at Vegas!!!!
USA are our favorites travel destibation, it was our 10th trip there!
We will be in Vegas next year too because we will attend 2 weddings in LA in march. Perhaps see you ther next year!!!

Moxie Tonic said...

YAY, Snow! And lots of it :D

Andrea James said...

Yay! Yosemite! Camping out there was an extensive & well-loved childhood tradition.