Monday, June 04, 2012

Final Chapter - Chicago.

Finally, the last holiday post and its about Jakk’s and mine favourite place – Chicago.










Amazing buildings, friendly people and great food – everything we were looking for. For us it felt like Chicago was like a cross between New York and Melbourne.










I’m trying to remember how we filled our days – mostly exploring the different neighbourhoods (turns out we were staying in the gay area and antiques district, what serendipity!), visiting the fantastic Art Institute and eating delicious food.
And finally drinking decent coffee (sorry America, I love you but what’s with your coffee situation?).

The Frank Lloyd Wright area on the outskirts of town is beautiful and well worth the trip to soak up the atmosphere and see the lovely houses. I didn’t realise there was so many of them, too bad it was FREEZING on the day we decided to do the walking tour. I think I nearly lost some fingers from frostbite.









And we were very lucky, because Chicago Modern Vintage fair was on while we there – vintage lover’s heaven!
Thats me on the lower right.









I think we bought the most clothing etc in Chicago (we each needed an extra suitcase to get home), the prices were good and the range was extensive. It was only a short walk from Ashland station and I really recommend going if you’re in the area when it’s on.










Probably the biggest highlight was getting to meet Tasha from By Gum By Golly, and her lovely partner Mel. It was like reuniting with an old friend and I’m a bit sad that we live so far away from each other.

I think I could easily live in Chicago, it’s a really great city.
Plus, the lake looks like the ocean and I could swim there without my fear of sharks getting in the way!
It really was one of the best holidays i've ever had, and hopefully we'll back in a few years to explore places we didnt get to see this time around.

3 comments:

Jane W. said...

My brother is an artist living in Chicago--it's a fabulous city. The winters are brutal, though.

MistressCatgirl said...

Those houses look marvelous. what fun you two must have had.

Kris said...

I'm so glad you liked Chicago! I thought you would. It's the closest big city to where I grew up (about an hour east of there), so it's probably where I would live if we ever moved back to the U.S. But as Jane said - winter is brutal and summer can get pretty extreme too!