Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Buttoned for Fashion - a very original, very individual hat. c. 1945

I'm very excited about finally getting my hands on a Hiawatha Hats & Bag book (available on Etsy now), so I have to share one of the patterns with you as todays free vintage pattern!





















Hiawatha books are the cream of the crop for 1940s hats and bags - fashion forward and very stylish. Very expensive to collect too!

I hope you like this sweet crocheted cap - the little horns/bows are covered in shell buttons and perch delicately on the head. The cap is held in place with pins.



Hiawatha Strawlite is discontinued, but a good substitute would be a fingering weight yarn with a firmness, like linen or hemp.

If anyone does make this I would love to see it!
xx

3 comments:

nancyworegreenstockings said...

Amazing! I am such a big fan of vintage hat and handbag patterns - they're just so neat and wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern!

lollyknits.com said...

Those hats are delightfully weird :)

sutuko said...

Hi! I finished the hat, although it came out a bit different than in the pattern. Sometimes I get a little carried away with improvising. :)

http://sutuko.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/kissankorvainen-kuppikakkuhattu/