Monday, November 05, 2012

FO: Gertie's High Waisted Skirt and Back Buttoned Blouse

I've been itching to sew a couple of patterns from Gertie's new book - 'Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing' - and here's the finished photos!
































I really needed another highwaisted skirt, and her version is definitely vintage-inspired enough that it will work with a lot of the blouses in my wardrobe.
I used black gaberdine, and boned the waistband as she suggested, but used a bar-tack instead of a button on the back.
Its the A-Line version, as Jakk thinks it looks more flattering on me than a wiggle skirt. The sizing was almost spot on, however I did have to take the skirt in a fraction at the waist.

Looking a bit crumpled from work!

I have a secret love for lime green, and bought a couple of metres on a whim from Spotlight last season - perfect for the Button Back Top. The fabric is almost eye-searing! Don't ask me about the Peter-Pan collar, a comedy of errors and I left it off.

MODS - the Top only as the Skirt was fine:
  • I HATE bound button holes, they never, ever look right. I omitted them and did normal buttonholes instead.
  • I chanced not doing a FBA, and the top fits perfectly in the bust
  • What is going on with the neckline in the pattern? Its super high and tight. I cut the neckline down a good half an inch, and it could still use a litter more
  • Planned Mod - i'm going to unpick the bias binding on the neck and cut a proper facing. Bias never looks good on a neck finish, and I should have followed my instincts instead of being swayed by the pretty pictures.
I have to share my latest amazing purchase from Melbourne (Savers, if you can believe) - a genuine 1940s navy faux-fur swing coat! (We were down there for the Camperdown Cruise festival)

My attempt at high fashion modelling.

Swishing through the coat racks is always interesting (second-hand is cheaper and more varied in Melbourne for some reason) and my hand came to rest on this coat. It felt different, heavy and thick, compared to the other coats.

The lining is purple silk crepe, and the darting in the sleeve and shoulder pretty much gave it away.  I showed it to a vintage dealer I know, and date confirmed!

 

Even though its 30 C here in Sydney at the moment I bet you can tell I would love to wear it everyday!

7 comments:

Lynne said...

Gorgeous!

Tasha said...

Come back to Chicago and you'll have reason to wear that AMAZING coat! lol

Love the skirt and the blouse too. The self-covered buttons are are great touch, I really need to try that out next time I'm doing a blouse. I love the print. And the skirt fits you fabulously!

MistressCatgirl said...

Great job on the skirt and blouse. Is it hard to button up back buttons? I'm always wondered. I love the look of back buttons too.
The jacket is gorgeous. It looks like it'll be nice and warm too.
I've been wanting a pencil skirt but my belly doesn't look good with it so I may try an A-line skirt next.

Desiree said...

The skirt looks pretty wiggly to me! Mee-ooww! It looks fantastic on you.

Bex said...

Aw thanks guys!
Mistress Catgirl - it is a bit trciky buttoning it up and takes a few minutes!
:)

Tamara said...

Love your blouse & skirt combo. Jakk's right about the a-line on you too, so wiggly!

Wish I'd known you guys were down for the Camperdown Cruise, we were there too. What did you think? It's getting bigger every year, but not necessarily better.

snippa said...

Brilliant outfit!
Haven't bought Gertie's book yet, maybe Santa will bring it for me.