I've been moving more towards vintage, and further away from rockabilly-inspired (i.e. modern pinup looks) and that's left me with a lot of skull and tattoo novelty prints in my sewing stash! Not to mention I'm scared of cutting into fabric that I know I can't get anymore.
The fabric is a quilting one from Alexander Henry, and three meters was more than enough to make the bodice and a gathered skirt.
I love the Gertie patterns, but i've yet to make one that didnt need some form of modification and this dress wasn't any different. I found when I did the bust gathers there was too much fabric to gather properly, and the gathering didnt extend low enough to flatter a full bust.
Reduced the fabric at the centre bust, extended the gathering downwards for 2 inches.
Inseam pockets with decorative black flaps.
Matching black bow at the bust.
Completely lined the bodice.
Overall Happiness Rating
The bodice pattern is going to get used again i'm sure, as I want to try and make a tiki-dress. I think next time i'll play with the bust detailing to make it wing out a bit more, like a true Alfred Shaeen number.
Handbag, Lux De Ville
Shoes, Miss L Fire Cherry Bomb
Necklace, self made