Sunday, March 24, 2013

FO: Tattoo Print Sundress

I've been moving more towards vintage, and further away from rockabilly-inspired (i.e. modern pinup looks) and that's left me with a lot of skull and tattoo novelty prints in my sewing stash! Not to mention I'm scared of cutting into fabric that I know I can't get anymore.
































The Dykes on Bikes Tattoo and Bike Show (last month during Mardi Gras) was a great place to whip up something using novelty fabric - and Gertie's Sweetheart Sundress pattern seemed a good fit.
































The fabric is a quilting one from Alexander Henry, and three meters was more than enough to make the bodice and a gathered skirt.

I love the Gertie patterns, but i've yet to make one that didnt need some form of modification and this dress wasn't any different. I found when I did the bust gathers there was too much fabric to gather properly, and the gathering didnt extend low enough to flatter a full bust.
































My other major mod was adding cute little pockets with black flaps on the outside. I love pockets on a dress!
































My Mods:
Reduced the fabric at the centre bust, extended the gathering downwards for 2 inches.
Inseam pockets with decorative black flaps.
Matching black bow at the bust.
Completely lined the bodice.

Overall Happiness Rating
85%

The bodice pattern is going to get used again i'm sure, as I want to try and make a tiki-dress. I think next time i'll play with the bust detailing to make it wing out a bit more, like a true Alfred Shaeen number.

Outfit
Handbag, Lux De Ville
Shoes, Miss L Fire Cherry Bomb
Necklace, self made
Bracelets, various

2 comments:

Mariela said...

You did a great job! I love that print too. I try and all pockets to all the skirts and dresses I make. It looks cute and is functional.

Kimberly said...

Nice job on the mods. looks like it fits perfectly. And yay for pockets!