Sunday, March 09, 2014

New Zealand

On the weekend, Jakk and I flew to New Zealand for my dad's wedding, and I was really excited that we were able to hang out with my sister and her little family for the weekend as well!


I don't get to see my nieces enough, and they are both adorable.

1950s miss l fire review tortuga
































I had my heart set on wearing a certain dress, when a parcel arrived the day before we flew out - and this lovely number was inside.

vintage wedding dress 1950s 1940s pin up rockabilly red hair
































I originally bought it as a dancing dress, but after trying it on it seemed too nice - don't you love it when a purchase exceeds your expectations?
This 1950's dress is simply cut - dolman sleeves with cuffs, mandarin neckline, princess seams - but it's beautifully made and really shows.

Jakk wore Retrospec'd California trousers, vintage vest and a 1940's scarf - she's such a snazzy dresser, I love it!

1940s butch boi dyke vintage rockabilly style
































Unfortunately there's a media blackout on all photos during the wedding, so I can't show you what my step-mother wore, but here's a shot of my nervous dad just before we left.

































The wedding was in a place called Whanganui, and our first trip to New Zealand. I wish we had the time (and money) to make it a mini-holiday but Viva is just around the corner.

We had a few hours on the morning of the wedding to take a trip into Whanganui town, and visited the Durie Hill War Memorial. To get to the summit you take a very ricketty old elevator that the locals use regularly as a form of transport. I understand why, as the stairs are a killer!

The next day, we hopped on a plane back to Sydney - it felt very strange to visit a country for just three days!
 
My outfit:
1950's dress - SimplicityIsBliss on Etsy
Shoes - Miss L Fire 'Tortuga'
1950s rhinestone brooch - gift from Jakk
Bracelet - Mimco Love and Loss bracelet
Lurex handbag - Op-Shop (Vinnies in West Ryde).
 
I hope you liked the sneak peek into our weekend...
 
Coming up shortly - updates on the Butterick/Gertie Sarong Dress, altering a modern dress to make it more 'vintage' and more free patterns of course!
 
xxx

3 comments:

Joanna said...

A wonderful dress and so many lovely pictures. I've seen the Etsy vendor's stock you bought the dress from before and they have some wonderful, tempting things! I'd love one day to visit Australia and New Zealand. They are high on my wish list.

Jessica Cangiano said...

You both look marvelous and so wonderfully (not sure if you aimed for as much or not) colour coordinated. I often try and aim to have Tony and my outfits match similarly for fancier events and holidays, like attending a wedding. I just love looking back on photos from such days and seeing a sense of sartorial harmony like that.

♥ Jessica

M-H said...

I know Whanganui quite well, as I lived in Palmerston North for years, about 30 mins drive away. Glad you had a good time.